Sunday, August 21, 2011

This Week in Fiction. 8-22-2011 to 8/29/2011

This is the first post in a new series where I will take a book, review it, and give it the score I think it deserves.

This week's book is Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1). Fans of series like True Blood, and Kelley Armstrong, and to a certain extent, the Mortal Instruments, will enjoy this series in which vampires and witches are "out of the closet" and are commonplace, and with vampires come vampire hunters. Cue Jane Yellowrock and Indian Skinwalker who has a panther living inside her. She is hired by a vampire in New Orleans to take out a rogue vampire who is targeting the city's resident bloodsuckers. Also involved in the story is an undercover police officer who serves as Jane's love interest, and her best friend, an earth witch trying to keep her kids under the government's witchy radar. The story has a ending that is completely unexpected.
I like how Faith Hunter. the author of the book, portrays Vampires and she is very descriptive, I've never been to the French Quarter, where the novel is written, but I could almost smell the boudin balls frying and here the people talking. She needs to work on her action scenes and I would like to read more about how her witch's magic system works. The Question is, would I reread it? Not likely.
I give this book 8.5 out of 10 stars for excellent descriptions, and well thought out characters.
Join me next week when I review the third Wolves of Mercy falls series.

No comments:

Post a Comment